Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mason's Diagnosis

All the babies had their EUA's staggered this morning.  Mason was the first to go in, and therefore, we have some of his results.  These are being filtered through, like 3 people, so I am doing my best to get this accurate (subject to change later.)

Mason

The tumor in Mason's Left Eye has grown.  He also has "seeds" in the left eye.  "Seeds" are cancer cells floating around the vitreous fluid, and would allow tumors to develop at some point.  The seeds are not a good sign.  While he was under, they did a localized chemo treatment (which is standard for Rb tumors) as well as a laser treatment.  The laser treatment is used in hopes of diminishing the size of the tumor, or to keep it from growing.

With what we know above, he is 'borderline' for systemic chemo.  The chemo described above with the laser is a localized chemo - right to the eye tissue.  The systemic chemotherapy is a "whole body" chemo.  The reason they would do this is to stop the cancer seeds from spreading..

The positive news - his Right Eye does not have any visible tumors.

Sweet baby.  Can't help but cry as I see this sweet little face...

4 comments:

  1. He is so beautiful. We are praying for your whole family Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, very happy for this outcome. If there is anything you need I am only a hop skip and a jump away. (Southern Alberta transplant in Toronto)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is heart-wrenching. What a sweet little guy. Your whole family is in my thoughts, and I wish all the babies a speedy road back to health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our daughter had this type of chemotherapy injected into her eye it was very successful in shrinking her tumor. I hope it has the same out come for mason, prayers are with your whole family. Was thinking about them all day.

    ReplyDelete