Friday, June 13, 2014

Early Detection

A month ago I started getting emails and texts. 
"Did you hear that story on NPR?  There's a guy trying to develop software that would detect leukocoria"  (the white glow in the pupil.)

I hadn't heard the radio blip, so I went online and found it.  Article here.

Bryan Shaw's son Noah has Retinoblastoma.  Bryan had an idea to develop software that could detect leukocoria using a phone, a computer, a camera, facebook, or instagram...places parents have access to.  Software that could detect a possible problem and immediately send you an alert - have your child checked, possible leukocoria.

In that we get a number of visitors daily to this blog, many of which are Rb families, we thought it was worth a post, to help raise awareness. 

Shaw needs thousands of photographs.  Thousands of unsorted libraries from Rb families.  He needs pictures from those affected by retinoblastoma, as well as pictures of children with no tumors - false positives.  Even if it seems the picture doesn't capture a 'glow' or white pupil, it can still often be detected, and useful for his purposes.  (No pictures donated will be posted or used for public viewing - only his colleagues working on the project will view them.)

I think those of us affected by Rb feel the same way.  Early detection is a possible life / eye saved.

-------------------------------------

If anyone is interested in helping his project, it was a really easy process.

1:  I emailed them my contact info and address. 
2:  A few days later a FedEx envelope arrived with a USB flash drive. 
3:  I simply uploaded thousands of pictures.  I didn't have to sort them or anything. 
4:  Included was a prepaid shipping label, all filled out.  All I had to do was take the new envelope back to FedEx, and ship it back!

-------------------------------------

Here is another article about the Shaw family.  I am inspired that Bryan felt that if he could make something good come out of his sons cancer battle, then hopefully it will continue to strengthen his son's faith in God.

The Shaw Family:
(Image belongs to the Shaw family via NPR article.)

1 comment:

  1. We love the Shaws. They are great people and great friends!

    ReplyDelete